Friday, December 21, 2012

Sleep, Glorious Sleep

6 years ago I moved to Utah. I had nothing to my name and no money to buy anything but I could handle it. It took me a month and a half to find an apartment but in the mean time I was lucky enough to stay with some very nice people who happened to have a guest bed. Once I found an apartment I realized I was in need of a place to sleep. Luckily those very nice people had a very nice daughter that happened to have a mattress that was in her basement left by the people that owned the house before her. I'll take it! I figured I would sleep on it for a year tops and then I would be able to buy a new one. How bad could it be? Here is the deal, this mattress had been in the basement for about 6 years. Who knows how long it was actually used before that. Plus, i don't think it was very high quality before that. Mattresses are supposed to be replaced every 5 years or so. Fast forward. 6 years later. This mattress is the worst possible thing. I can feel every single spring. If I move, they make noise. If I don't move my appendages fall asleep. If I am too tired or sick i have better luck falling asleep if I lay on the ground. And still no money for a new mattress but I decide I will go shopping for one anyway just so I can see how much I need to save. I go to Ashley, where I worked for about 7 months. They tell me not to look at the prices just find the one that I love. I find my dream mattress. Haha get it? Dream mattress? Haha.  Ok moving on. I glance at the tag. Don't worry, it was only $1998. Why was I not looking at the tags? I HAVE to have this mattress and there is no way I am ever going to be able to afford it. Thanks a heap ex co worker and ex manager that was a great idea. But wait they have a deal, of course they do. It is a furniture store after all. But this deal, is actually a deal. This is a deal so good in fact that I cannot even say what they did for me because I don't want to get them getting in trouble. I still don't have the money but I do have a line of credit and seriously this deal is too good to pass up. I'll take it! The mattress will arrive in 6-8 weeks. If it is possible, the old mattress is even more uncomfortable then before I took the $800 out of my wallet to pay for the new one. Oops I just told the deal. My back aches. I can't sleep I can barely sit on the thing without complaining. Finally it is here! And it came early! I get it in my house, which is a story in and of itself. I will spare you the details at this point. This all latex mattress needs a few hours to "inflate" so sleep will have to wait until night time. What time am I allowed to go to bed? Night comes. There is give in the support it gives me, there are no springs therefore no noise no appendages falling asleep, no metal digging into my back. I never want to get out of bed. A sincere thanks a heap to ex co worker and ex manager. 

No comments:

Post a Comment